- 5 eggs
- 13 yolks
- 250 g sugar
- 120 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- Line a clay cake pan with foolscap paper or other thick white paper - I used 2 sheets.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, yolks, and eggs for 30 minutes or use an electric mixer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220 ºC / 428 ºF.
- Sift flour and salt and gently fold it all together.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 180ºC / 356 ºF for 20 minutes more.
- When you take it out of the oven it should be golden brown and the center should shake a little.
- Let it sit in the pan until cool. Remove it carefully, so it doesn't crack.
The first time you use a clay cake pan it's advisable to dip it in water before first use.
Here in Portugal, clay cake pans are easily found at local fairs or in specialty bakery shops.
The Sponge Cake cooking time differs from oven to oven and with the type of cake pan used.
You can also use a metal cake pan and line it with parchment paper, but you will need to reduce the cooking time.
This loaf should rest for at least 6 hours, but it's best 24 hours later. The difference is incredible! So I advise you to prepare it in advance.
With this sponge cake, you need to be very careful with timings. It’s really important you make sure that the sponge cake doesn’t dry too much otherwise, you will lose the opportunity to taste the most delicious and creamy filling.
If it doesn’t go well the first time, give it another chance. I promise: you won’t regret that!
Other suggestions for your Easter table:
- Another wonderful sweet to stand by this sponge cake it’s Abade Priscos Pudding. If you didn’t check that recipe yet, you cand find it here.
- More like a pie person? You can find here another delicious recipe – Portuguese Custard Tart.
I love to cook and bake with clay. The final result is always really different from another kind of material. Have you ever tried that? Let me know, leave a comment! =)