Strawberry Eton Mess – A fast and easy dessert filled with cream, marinated strawberries, and meringue topped with caramelized almonds.
Next Sunday, for some of us, is Mother’s Day! Yep, here in Portugal is next Sunday. In the UK has already been in March, but in the USA is next 14th of May. So, here you have a quick, delicious and gorgeous classic English dessert to wow your Mom! =)
And for a chocoholic Mom, you don’t want to miss this Chocolate Bundt Cake. 😉
I have been feeling tired lately. I really think it’s because of the new season – sun, hot days, rain and really cold nights. All in one week. What about you? Do you feel like this too?
And what about holidays? Do you have plans? I can’t decide! Could you give me some ideias?
I made my own meringues, later I’ll leave the recipe I used here and maybe a step-by-step guide. But you can buy them, so it would be quicker to prepare.
In this dessert, you just have to prepare the marinade for the strawberries at least 15 minutes in advance or an hour before serving. You choose, it’s how it works best for you.
Do the layering just before serving, this way the meringue and the caramelized almond will be crispy and all the layers will keep their own flavor.
Eton Mess Recipe for a Great Mother’s Day dessert
- 500g Strawberries
- 12 basil leaves or mint leaves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp raspberry vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- chopped almonds
- Cut strawberries in four and basil leaves in pieces.
- Add sugar, vinegars and mix everything together.
- Allow it to sit at least 15 minutes so that strawberries can absorb all the flavors and release their juices.
- Whip heavy cream with sugar to stiff peaks. Add sour cream and cream cheese, homogenize.
- Cover the bottom of a pan with sugar and let it caramelize. Once you have an amber caramel add the almond and stir.
- Remove from the heat, pour onto a sheet of baking paper. With another sheet on top, roll it to a thin layer of almond.
- Allow to cool and then break in pieces.
- Add a layer of strawberries, follow with a layer of cream and top with crushed meringues. Keep going all the way to the top. Garnish to taste with small meringues, caramelized almonds, and strawberries.
If you liked it give it a comment, leave a question or just share it! Thank you!
Have a great weekend!