Butter Sponge Cake (basic recipe) – is a very simple cake. It’s an airy sponge which you can add the flavor you want like lemon zest, cinnamon, vanilla or add a syrup when ready. It has only 5 ingredients and it takes under 40 minutes from start to finish. The butter gives it the structure needed for layer cakes or even just to cover it with some frosting.
I had the idea of sharing this recipe with you because I think we all need some basics to work them the way we want. And, this is a great butter sponge cake to twist or finish in a big variety of ways. It’s like a blank page you can fill it as you please.
So, I will do this more often… I will share with you basic recipes so you can change them with your imagination and tell me how it went. Do you agree?
This butter sponge cake can be made in advance. Since you can keep it very moist and fresh, like it was just made, simply by wrapping it in cling film after completely cooled and keeping it in the fridge, for up to 3 days. Another possibility is keeping it in the freezer up to 4 months, well wrapped as well, and thawing it over night in the fridge. And only then bringing it back to room temperature.
Later, I’ll show you other sponge cake recipes and how I use them. And, I would love to hear your suggestions!
- 8 eggs separated
- 260 g (1 cup + 3 tbsp) sugar
- 170 g (1 cup + ⅓) baking flour
- 107 g (1 stick) butter
- 12 g (3 tsp) baking powder
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC or 350 ºF. Grease and line a 30 X 20 cm or 12 x 8-inch cake pan.
- Melt butter on low heat and let it cool.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks, with salt (optional).
- In another bowl, combine yolks and sugar for about 5 minutes or until you reach an almost white and light cream.
- Slowly add the butter to your yolks, beating on low.
- Add a few egg whites and mix. Sift a bit of flour with the baking powder and mix.
- Alternate sifting flour and baking powder with remaining egg whites, and fold very gently in between, so that you don't lose all the air from the egg whites.
- Carefully, pour it into prepared pan, smooth and level the top.
- Bake it for 25 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean. Pay attention so it doesn't dry.
- After taking it out of the oven let it sit for 5 minutes and unmold. If needed, release it from the pan with help of a knife or an offset spatula.
- Let it cool on a rack.
Let me know if you prefer a step-by-step recipe tutorial for this kind of recipes next time.
If you liked it, please share it with your friends and family so they all can enjoy this cake and give it their own personality.